Subject: Re: "Softfloat" breaks IDE disk driver?
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: David M. <dave_matthew@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/07/2005 15:07:45
--- Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> The normal instal kernel should boot since, I don't
> believe, it does much if any FP work.

The normal installation kernel/user-land isn't usable
on the machine in question; it hangs at the point
where it should start "init."

> Could you try that?  At least that would separate
> out whether it is a softfloat issue or ide drive on
> 190 issue.

I replaced the normal installation kernel's RAM disk
image with the RAM disk image from the "softfloat"
installation kernel.  Booting it on the PB 190cs and
reading from the IDE disk gives essentially the same
result: the OS becomes unusable, but now even the TTY
echo stops working.

Sadly, the machine has since become almost completely
inert.  I suspect that a defunct PRAM battery is the
cause of this new problem.