Subject: Quantum Fireball 1080S
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tyler Mitchell <fission@ldx.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/04/2005 12:05:49
Hi,

Just bought myself a Mac PowerBook 165 and an external SCSI HD, a Quantum
Fireball 1080S.  The hard drive works fine in MacOS 7.1 and 7.5.5, but I
can't seem to make it work in NetBSD 2.0.

If I boot with a GENERIC kernel, it detects the internal hard drive, then
detects a whole bunch of nonexistent drives at odd LUNs.  The last drive
it detects (which is sd8!) is correct.

So, I tried with the GENERICSBC kernel; it properly detected my hard
drives at sd0 (internal IBM HD) and sd1 (external Quantum at SCSI ID 5).
It looked like it was working well... except that my filesystem gets
corrupted very quickly.  fsck complains that the superblock doesn't exist;
even if I point it at another superblock, it proceeds to trash the
filesystem.

I added a quirk to scsiconf.c:

         {{T_DIRECT, T_FIXED,
          "QUANTUM ", "FIREBALL1080S   ", "1Q09"}, PQUIRK_AUTOSAVE},

because I had read somewhere that Quantum drives needed this sort of
tweaking.  I also added some code to make sure that the quirk was being
read -- it definitely is:

 	scsibus0: found quirk 0x00000001 for target 5 lun 0

The quirk doesn't seem to help; I just got the following when booting
multiuser for the first time (again):

Mounting all filesystems...
Clearing /tmp.
First bad, reclen=2e00, DIRSIZ=12, namlen=0, flags=5000 entryoffsetinblock=0, dirblksiz = 512
/: bad dir ino 56576 at offset 0: mangled entry
panic: bad dir
Stopped in pid 167.1 (sh) at    netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x6:        unlk    a6

AFAICT, the disk is terminated properly, and I'm assured that it was in
working condition before I got it.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.  I've got a SCSIPI_DEBUG
kernel built to test things out, and can easily cross-build another
kernel.

--
Tyler Mitchell <fission@ldx.ca> . . . . . . . . http://www.ldx.ca/