Subject: Re: Strange traps
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/2005 10:18:49
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:03:54AM +0000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> In article <1107210967.686.13.camel@dawn.local>,
> 	"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > BTW, what's the 'movc' instruction, which appears on the original
> > getsfc and getdfc functions?  I can't find it in the 68k reference
> > manual.
>
> I guess that's supposed to be "movec"--move to/from control register.
> "objdump -D" shows that "gas" is compiling it as "movec".

Oh! Thanks.  I was looking for a disassembler and wasn't aware that objdump
could fill the gap.

> You should know that there's a well-know problem with certain 68LC040's,
> beyond simply not having an FPU.  I don't truly understand the nature of
> the problem--mumble, mumble spurious traps--but I suspect you have one of
> those broken ones.

Yes, I do have one of those, and mine is a revision that cannot be fixed by
software.  However, everything I've read so far only referred to problems
with the FPU, in the sense that it cannot be emulated safely.  But now you
imply that the problems are worse than this :-(  Well so, I won't care about
this any more and maybe start looking at why it hangs at adb.

Thanks for the info!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>