Subject: Re: serial port device names
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/2005 18:50:18
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 04:53:05PM -0800, John Klos wrote:
> >On a related note, I've had my SE/30 running for two weeks doing non-stop
> >package compiles without a hiccup.  Kernel memory usage is around 75M on a
> >128MB SE/30 though.  I suppose that is mostly disk cache/buffers?
>
> No, that should not count towards kernel memory usage. This is the problem
> I've been seeing - the kernel takes it, but doesn't give it back. Usage is
> way higher than it's supposed to be. Also, because your machine is slower,
> it probably took a lot longer to get to that state.

actually the buffer cache (and some of the page cache) will count towards
the resident size that top and ps report for kernel processes.
also, "vmstat -m" will show the buffer cache space in the buf[1248]k pools.

but there does seem to be some kind of memory leak on the m68k platforms
these days.  we haven't figured out where it's going yet.

-Chuck