Subject: Re: Problems booting NetBSD
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/2005 15:02:46
On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 23:54 +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Anyway, I have just done a full 7.5.3 installation and still no luck.
> NetBSD completely refuses to boot.  Tried booting first with all
> extensions on, then some disabled, then all disabled...  I'm out of
> ideas :-(

Ok, here are some more data points.  I've just reinstalled MacOS 8.0.
If I boot with networking enabled, the problem described previously
always happens (i.e., blank screen before the kernel starts).

If I boot with all extensions disabled, the kernel boots fine (well,
-current with DIAGNOSTIC triggers an assertion at the very beginning,
but 2.0 works just fine, but that's another issue).

Now I don't understand why doing the same thing with 7.5.3 doesn't work.
I.e., booting with all extensions disabled doesn't let NetBSD work.
Does anybody have an explanation?

Also tried with the latest booter, which is able to disable appletalk
before booting the kernel.  That doesn't help either, unfortunately :(

(Oh and BTW, booting with extensions disabled in 8.0 could be good
if I didn't have to first boot with networking enabled to get the card
running in NetBSD...  i.e., no possibility to boot headless.)

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/