Subject: Re: Problems booting NetBSD
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/2005 17:58:04
In article <1107105976.1272.38.camel@dawn.local>,
	"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 16:13 +0000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>> In article <1107100946.1272.28.camel@dawn.local>,
>> 	"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> writes:
>> >
>> > I have installed System 7.5 on my Performa 630, using the Network
>> > Access Disk (not the full system).  It only has the Chooser and the
>> > Network control panel.
>>
>> Does this 630 have the original LC68040 chip? If so, you need to
>> use a "softfloat" build.
>
> Yes, it's the LC chip, and I'm trying a softfloat build.
>
> FWIW, it used to work well when I had MacOS 8.0.  (-current
> installation paniced soon at boot, but the kernel at least tried to
> boot, showing multiple messages up until the panic.)

Maybe the Booter is not "softfloat" safe? There was a control panel
floating around for the older Mac's that attempted to patch some of
the brokenness surrounding the LC'40.  Maybe that was included with
your installation of Mac OS 8.0?

>> > So far I've copied the booter and the install kernel.  But it won't
>> > boot.  The booter loads the kernel and then, the screen is blanked.
>> > But the kernel does not show anything at all.
>>
>> It's wedged? No drive activity? You could maybe rule out any issue
>> with the video or the console by turning on the option to log to an
>> "ImageWriter" (or a serial console).
>
> The machine does nothing at all (it seems as if the kernel didn't
> receive control properly).  I've tried to listen at the hard disk,
> but after the booter stops it, it doesn't do anything else.
>
> I've even tried enabling a serial console as you suggest, but doesn't
> improve things.  It's just frozen.

I guess you are using Booter 2.0.0, as the older one would not even
accept the ELF kernel.  Nigel Pearson occasionally posts beta's of
the next version, but I don't have a URL handy. (You could search
the archives of this mailing list.)  That would worth a shot.

Frederick