Subject: Re: Problems booting NetBSD
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/2005 18:26:16
On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 16:13 +0000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> In article <1107100946.1272.28.camel@dawn.local>,
> 	"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > I outlined this problem in a previous mail, but probably got hidden
> > because it wasn't about what was being discussed in the thread.
> >
> > I have installed System 7.5 on my Performa 630, using the Network
> > Access Disk (not the full system).  It only has the Chooser and the
> > Network control panel.
>
> Does this 630 have the original LC68040 chip? If so, you need to
> use a "softfloat" build.

Yes, it's the LC chip, and I'm trying a softfloat build.

FWIW, it used to work well when I had MacOS 8.0.  (-current
installation paniced soon at boot, but the kernel at least tried to
boot, showing multiple messages up until the panic.)

> > So far I've copied the booter and the install kernel.  But it won't
> > boot.  The booter loads the kernel and then, the screen is blanked.
> > But the kernel does not show anything at all.
>
> It's wedged? No drive activity? You could maybe rule out any issue
> with the video or the console by turning on the option to log to an
> "ImageWriter" (or a serial console).

The machine does nothing at all (it seems as if the kernel didn't
receive control properly).  I've tried to listen at the hard disk,
but after the booter stops it, it doesn't do anything else.

I've even tried enabling a serial console as you suggest, but doesn't
improve things.  It's just frozen.

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>