Subject: Re: PowerBook 540c and NetBSD/mac68k
To: Alan Dipert <ad@neologic.net>
From: Bruce ONeel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/2005 22:10:09
Alan Dipert <ad@neologic.net> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:36:44 -0500
> From: Alan Dipert <ad@neologic.net>
> Subject: PowerBook 540c and NetBSD/mac68k
> To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.org
>
> Hello,
> I attempted to install NetBSD 2.0 on a PowerBook 540c that's currently
> running System 7.1, and ran into some trouble.  I tried a "Quick"
> install with sysinst as outlined in INSTALL.html.
>
> Using the netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz kernel and Booter, the boot gets
> relatively far but hangs on "root file system type: ffs."  The kernel
> also reports that "PRAM time does not appear to have been read
> correctly," a message that apparently is the result of a dead PRAM
> battery.  I'm unsure as to how these two messages relate or as to how
> crucial a new PRAM battery is.  While the computer is hanging on the ffs
> message, the machine accepts keyboard input.

Hi,

The PRAM message seems to be "normal".  I ignore it.

You do need to use the softfloat build from
ftp://ftp.ziaspace.com/pub/NetBSD/m68k, the likelyhood of the fpu
emulator working the the LC040 in your 540 is small.

Sadly the 2.0 mac68k install is broken.  This isn't a pb540 or softfloat
issue, this is for all mac68k systems.  The simpliest might be to
first install 1.6.2 and then do the 2.0 upgrade.  That combo seems
to work well.

If you want to do the 2.0 install without installing 1.6.2 first you
can.  My memory is that the disk label is written ok, but the newfs
doesn't happen.  If you want to do this I'll try to run an install on
another powerbook 540
this weekend and write down the exact steps.

1.6, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, and 2.0 all run well on a powerbook 540c.  I'm using
Squeak on X on NetBSD on a 540c to write this message.

cheers

bruce