Subject: RE: Q840 benchmarks
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Larson, Tim (Corporate) <Tim.Larson@conagrafoods.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/2005 09:54:35
> As far as I know, DMA support for the Q840AV isn't in NetBSD yet. I=20
> submitted a patch to enable basic DMA SCSI support a while=20
> ago but even=20
> with this patch my initial testing showed that it wasn't a tremendous=20
> speed increase. It was just an incremental step in getting=20
> DMA working.

Did you do any benchmarks of a stock system vs your patched version?  =
And how much slower is it than other systems?  I mean, if it's 50% =
slower right now, I'm not sure I'd even want to use my Q840 for NetBSD - =
the disk would be such a bottleneck that I'd be far better off with a =
Q800.  But if we're only seeing a 10% hit compared to others, I'll live =
with it, given the potential that it could be even faster someday.

I appreciate your work on this issue.  I wish I knew something about =
device drivers and system programming so I could take a look.

Do you provide the patched version in binary form so people can try it =
out?

> > Yes, I'm curious about the DMA SCSI support.  My Quadra has a fast
> > (24x) CD-ROM and I'm wondering if I'm going to see much benefit.

Does a 24x CD exceed the bandwidth of the SCSI channel?

Tim
--=20
Tim Larson                   ><>                        402.595.4419
Systems Analyst                             Web Center of Excellence
mail stop 9-180                                  ConAgra Foods, Inc.