Subject: Re: Q840 benchmarks
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/2005 16:52:50
> I was wondering if anyone has disk benchmarks for the Q840AV vs
> other 68k Macs under NetBSD.  Benchmarks for "real life" uses that
> include disk access would also be great.

I've done some informal comparison between my LC475 and an aging 900MHz
AMD Duron laptop.  The LC475 has a full 68040 at 25MHz, and the inter-
nal SCSI disk has been changed to a more recent one.

I've found that the Mac is roughly 100 times slower than the laptop
for CPU-bound operations, both integer and floating point.  It is 50
times slower than the laptop when compiling -- but that's perhaps not
significative, the laptop has a different version of gcc.

> Yes, I'm curious about the DMA SCSI support.  My Quadra has a fast
> (24x) CD-ROM and I'm wondering if I'm going to see much benefit.

24x is, if I'm not mistaken, roughly 4MB/s (probably less than that --
CD vendors lie).  IIRC, that's roughly what I get from the LC's disk.

                                        Juliusz