Subject: nonstandard bit depth possible?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Larson, Tim (Corporate) <Tim.Larson@conagrafoods.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/2005 16:32:47
Is it possible to use nonstandard bit depths in X11 in general, and the =
mac68k color X server specifically?  I've got machines with 512kB VRAM, =
which should theoretically support 640x480x13, if 13-bit color is =
possible.  I've always wondered if the restrictions to 4-, 8-, 16-, 24-, =
and 32-bit depths was arbitrary or some limitation inherent in an =
algorithm used somewhere.  It would be kind of neat to squeeze more =
color out of the machine than was capable with the MacOS.

Tim

--=20
Tim Larson                   ><>                        402.595.4419
Systems Analyst                             Web Center of Excellence
mail stop 9-180                                  ConAgra Foods, Inc.