Subject: Re: pkgsrc -O2 "compatible"
To: Nuno Teixeira <nu@nunotex.freeshell.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/2005 13:40:01
Hey,

On Friday, December 31, 2004, at 02:35 PM, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> I read a lot of opinions between -O and -O2 and for what I read it
> does't make any binary performance diference, it takes more compile time
> only.

this is plainly wrong. O2 is often better than O. Rare circumstances are
where you can have cache size problems for example or compiler bugs or
particularly difficult code. It is often that O3 doesn't give much
improved results, but that isn't true in general either. Os can be
interesting too.

I find O2 a good "generic choice". Changes and improvements should be
made from program to program after some benchmarks on different hosts.

-R