Subject: Re: Install problem with 2.0
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/2004 11:02:24
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, John Klos wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I had another question now that I've done a 2.0 Sparc update
>> as well.
>>
>> When I did the partition table I noticed I could choose ffsv1
>> or ffsv2.  What is ffsv2 and why is this option not possible
>> with the 68k install?  The only thing I could easily find was that
>> softdep seems to be a bad choice with ffsv2 and it is good for
>> file systems greater than 1tb.  I 'll admit that 1TB file systems
>> will be very uncommon on 68k systems :-)
>
> Hmmm... I never heard of any softdep problems with ffsv2, but I'm sure
> they're in the list. I hope they were all fixed before 2.0 came out...

  	I've been running softdep with ffsv2 on i386 for sometime without
  	any issues.

> It provides support for storage with up to 64 bits worth of blocks, from what
> I remember. And while I've had 1/2 TB volumes on my Amiga, you're right -
> it's not likely to be very common to see > 1 TB.

  	ffsv2 tends to end up with slightly less space for data than v1,
  	but fsck runs much faster. I also tend to run 32k block 4k frag
  	on newfs which has given me a slight io speed increase and fsck
  	time reduction at the expense of more wasted space. I end up
  	running fsck once in a blue moon, but when it needs to run I
  	generally want the machine back in a hurry :)

> Since 2.0 supports ffsv2, I'm sure you could re-newfs a slice on a mac68k
> machine, but I wouldn't be 100% certain that it wouldn't confuse the booter.
> Maybe it's worth checking.

  	Some ports (sparc) cannot boot yet from ffsv2, but I don't know
  	about mac68k (I need to update my se/30 to fine out :)