Subject: Re: Booting a Quadra 650 without interaction
To: Ed Schouten <ed@il.fontys.nl>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/08/2004 08:31:05
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Ed Schouten wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Yesterday I was helping a friend of mine with his Wintel machine (you know,
> removing spyware). After a little chit-chat, he told me that he had an Apple
> Quadra 650 in the attic, which I could have *joy* *joy*
>
> So I tried to boot NetBSD on the thing and it works, but I want to be able
> to boot NetBSD without any interaction, because it will be a small server, I
> guess...
>
> In the FAQ, I read that you could boot NetBSD from a small Mac OS install or
> from a bootable floppy, with Booter. Does any of you guys know if it is
> possible to do an automated bootup on these things?

Sure. The Booter has an option to auto-boot after X seconds. Just setup
all the boot options. Then setup the startup options. Then choose to save
the options from the File menu. Next set the Booter app as a startup item
(make an alias to it in the System Folder->Startup Items).

Next time you reboot, it should boot NetBSD (after booting MacOS).

This can be on a floppy (if so, choose the "do not eject removable media"
option, or a small partition. If you use the System Tools disk System
Folder you can make this very small. If you want to save even more space
you can rename the Booter appto "Finder" and put it in the System Folder.
This will run the Booter app directly, instead of the Finder. It will save
you a little time, and some space.

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------