Subject: Re: Booting a Quadra 650 without interaction
To: Ed Schouten <ed@il.fontys.nl>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/08/2004 05:18:14
On 12/8/04 03:48, Ed Schouten wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Yesterday I was helping a friend of mine with his Wintel machine (you know,
> removing spyware). After a little chit-chat, he told me that he had an Apple
> Quadra 650 in the attic, which I could have *joy* *joy*
>
> So I tried to boot NetBSD on the thing and it works, but I want to be able
> to boot NetBSD without any interaction, because it will be a small server, I
> guess...
>
> In the FAQ, I read that you could boot NetBSD from a small Mac OS install or
> from a bootable floppy, with Booter. Does any of you guys know if it is
> possible to do an automated bootup on these things?
>
> Yours,

It is. You make the booter run as a startup application in MacOS (put it or
an alias in your Startup Items Folder). Configure the booter to boot into
NetBSD automatically after N seconds (I use N = 10). The 10sec delay gives
more than enough time to stop the boot to NetBSD if you need to.

Cheers,
Mark