Subject: Re: v2.0_RC5 (+) CVS & kernel build issues
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org, yancm@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Gene ENonymous <yancm@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/2004 18:05:32
[sorry for the duplicates Bob]
>From rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org Sat Nov 27 17:26:47 2004
>On Nov 27, 2004, at 10:33 AM, Gene ENonymous wrote:

>> 3. Any clear conceptual errors or execution errors?

>Yes. Starting with 1.6 the default format for m68k changed from a.out
>to elf.  This required a change to the Booter application, and version
>2.x was created.  It supports booting of both a.out and elf format
>kernels.  Previous versions only supported a.out format.

Either I wasn't clear or I didn't understand your answer...
This is the latest booter 2.x I'm pretty certain;
its a clean install from latest daily unofficial binary release.

It boots the latest binary kernel (I can come up as 2.0 RC5 GENERIC
off of /netbsd and I can see the ELF messages as it begins to boot).

The problem comes when I try to build a NEW kernel.

I would expect a clean production source tree GENERIC to build
the same format as a recent daily binary build??? Is this faulty logic?

Anyway, this does not help me yet? Should I try getting a booter other than
the most recent? If so which one should I use...the production release version
of 1.6.2?

>> 4. Is there less value in tracking the soon to be production release
>> branch rather than current?

>Depends on what you want to do.  The production release is already
>behind where current is.  If you don't mind things possibly not
>working, tracking -current may be best.  If you're interested in having
>the most stable system possible, stick with the production release.  It
>won't change much from here on.

I figured I want some stability. Thought I'd get things working in
a more stable branch then maybe move to current.

>> 5. Do I have to do something special that's not in the normal port
>> documents?

>See #3 above.  I really thought that was in the FAQ - it should be.

I am aware of this. I'm pretty sure it's in the manual. It's definitely
in the mailing lists and comes up early in searches on "booter kernel error".

>> 6. Does someone need to fix /cvsroot/src/sys/conf/files,v ?

>Yes.  It was reported and should be fixed soon.

>Hope this helps,

Hope you don't loose patience with me! 8-)

Thanks again,
gene