Subject: v2.0_RC5 (+) CVS & kernel build issues
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Gene ENonymous <yancm@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/2004 16:33:42
Hi All,

I've been a NetBSD user/lurker for a while. Necessity prompted me to
customize my first kernel under i386 1.6.2 a couple weeks ago and this
emboldened me to try to do the same (and maybe track) under mac68k/netbsd-2-0.

My application is a simple home gateway/server/nat/router/firewall (if
all of that is not an oxymoron). I have a Centris 650 w/48M ram, a 256M
Quantum/Apple'ised sys 7.5 on sd0 and a 2G Seagate on sd1 devoted to
netbsd exclusively.

Clean Install of 2.0 RC5 (NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/unoficial/200411121400/mac68k):
  Notes:
    1) Saga of formatting the disk covered under a future post...maybe...
       scsi read 5 error problems...but I prevailed! (may the FAQ be with you 8-)

    2) Installed the full binary tree. I even got the booter to boot off of
       the /netbsd kernel rather than the kernel.gz on the mac side!
       (I never got this to work right under my netbsd 1.5.2 install)
       The full binary install was about 250 M.

    3) I grabbed and installed the 2.0 tar files for src from:
       ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-2-0/tar_files/src

    4) I did a anonymous cvs update on the /usr/src tree using:
       cvs checkout -rnetbsd-2-0 update -dP src

       Which went pretty well until I got the following error:
       .... about 20 minutes of update messages ....
       cvs update: Updating src/sys/compat/svr4_32
       cvs update: Updating src/sys/compat/ultrix
       cvs update: Updating src/sys/compat/vax1k
       cvs update: Updating src/sys/conf
       cvs [update aborted]: unable to parse /cvsroot/src/sys/conf/files,v; `author' not in the expected place

       ^Ccvs [update aborted]: received interrupt signal
       [it hung for 30 minutes after the above error then I broke out]

    5) Next I tried to build the generic kernel:
       cd /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf
       config GENERIC
       cd ../compile/GENERIC
       make depend
       make
       [no errors after about 10 hours of compile]
       cp /netbsd /netbsd.old
       mv ./netbsd /netbsd

    6) Reboot and ...
       I get the error message that the kernel is not in a form recognized by the booter...
       So I pointed to netbsd.old and it booted right up...

Questions:

1. Did the problem in 4 cause the problem in 6?
2. Am I doing something obviously wrong here?
3. Any clear conceptual errors or execution errors?
4. Is there less value in tracking the soon to be production release branch rather than current?
5. Do I have to do something special that's not in the normal port documents?
6. Does someone need to fix /cvsroot/src/sys/conf/files,v ?

Thanks,
gene