Subject: Re: Latest softfloat build?
To: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Bruce ONeel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/2004 13:41:54
Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:44:07 -0600 (CST)
> From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
> Subject: Re: Latest softfloat build?
> To: Bruce ONeel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
> Cc: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>, port-mac68k@NetBSD.org
>
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Bruce ONeel wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hmm, RC1-5 have all worked well for me.  The current
> > problem with the softfloat install is with current and
> > it seems (my guess) tobe network related.  I've not gotten
> > back to it yet.
> >
> > I have no idea what problems one might have with the
> > network on the RC5 build.  It would be worth trying
> > the RC4 or earlier build and you probably can get away
> > with just downloading the kernel and using that to try
> > things out.
>

> Here is as interesting tidbit...
>
> First off, I tried RC4, and RC3 as well as current (all from ziaspace).
> None of these worked either.
>
> However, during my attempts I notcied that I would occassionally get an
> out of swap message. This machine has only 8 megs.
>
> So I tried swapon <pathtomyswap> before the installation. This caused the
> installer to nicely tell me that it had to disable that swap partition.
>
> So I am instead trying an "upgrade" instead of an install ( my partitions
> ans fs are fine). This seems to be working! At least I am able to download
> the files now!
>
> So I wonder if the issue isn't memory related. That might explain why some
> people have not experienced it. (This is the only 8Mb machine I have, and
> memory for PB I assume is pricey and hard to come by. This is a PB520c.)
>
> However, even with the swap on (16megs of swap), I still got zero packets
> transmitted from the ping command...

Hi,

Yes, I'll bet that 8 meg is not nearly enough, even if the
docs say otherwise.  The uncompressed kernel is 4.5 meg or so.

I have no idea why this would cause problems with ping though.

In terms of memory, ebay is your friend here.  A quick search
shows someone with a 32 meg module with a buy it now price
of $32.  This is not out of line.

cheers

bruce