Subject: Current softfloat boot problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/21/2004 10:10:22
Hi,

After many boots I think I've narrowed things down.  Last night
I thought it was a phase of the moon type problem since the same
setup booted over and over again at home, but, at work on Wednesday
it crashed.

This morning I relized that my home network is quite quiet since
everything is on their own switch port.  So with a bit of playing
I could get a 100% crash rate when I made sure that an ethernet
packet came into the system between the clearing of the screen
and the md0 line after the install SBC kernel has control.  If the
network was quiet then 100% of the time we booted.  If the network
stayed quiet until the prompt for terminal type and then got active
then it was ok as well.

My guess is still that some interrupt is jumping to the wrong place.

Juan, what ethernet interface do you use?  Is it the sn device?
How much physical memory do you have?

I'll poke to see what has changed between RC5 (which does not seem
to have this problem) and current.

Of course, it also could be that the problem exists in both and
in 2.0RC5 the right bit of memory is not overwritten.

Thanks.

cheers

bruce
--