Subject: Re: Softfloat and -current
To: Bruce ONeel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/16/2004 20:39:23
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:29:07 +0200
Bruce ONeel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I spent the morning annoying my office mates with
> mac startup chimes and I think I may have found soemthing.
>
> Do you have apple talk on and the ethernet cable pluged in?
> Could you  try with the cable unpluged?

I tried first unplugging the cable, and then disabling appletalk
from the control panel.  And the same panic appears over and over
again.

BTW, back when it worked, the NIC wasn't properly detected during
NetBSD (causing complete freezes during startup), _unless_ I first
booted MacOS and used it to make a connection somewhere.

> Basically I keep crashing too, though with
> different errors.  I get type1 and type2, as well
> as fpu errors.  It seems a bit random.

Always type2 here, AFAICT.

> Some background.  PRAM batteries are very hard to replace
> on powerbook 540s, so, I don't bother.  That means that I
> have to set the clock on bootup.

I built one by hand using two AA batteries (not suitable for a
laptop, I guess).  Has been working very well for ~4 months.
I wrote about it here:
	http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/2004/07/18/

> Before the 2.0 beta series of kernels, I had fairly consistant crashes
> when booting with the ethernet attached.

With 2.0 + softfloat, I hardly saw any panic.  (Only freezes during the
detection of the NIC, as explained above).

Thanks though,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/