Subject: Re: Softfloat and -current
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/13/2004 11:51:30
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Bruce O'Neel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It turns out, oddly enough, that the libm Makefile problem I wrote
> about yesterday is the problem with the sysinst kernel.  I'm amazed
> at how much FP work printf and friends do.
>
> I'm suprised, but I checked out a clean copy of current yesterday,
> put in my 2 line change to lib/libm/Makefile, built everything, and
> then my PB540 booted with no problem netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz.
>
> If anyone else wants to give it a shot then the the files are at
> ftp://ftp.ziaspace.com/pub/NetBSD/m68k/current.
>
> The changed Makefile is there as well.

This sounds interesting. I have a pb540c (I think that is what it is, it
is not right at hand at the moment, but I know it has no fpu). I would
like to try netbsd on it. If you install with this kernel will the
installer install a kernel that is bootable without an fpu? Do I need
special sources (or tarball binaries) for a softfloat install?

This would be a fresh install of 2.0 (RC4 I guess).

Is there some quality howto on setting this up?

Thanks,

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------