Subject: Re: anyone running some u* or l* on a Mac Quadra 700
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/2004 23:07:06
(I assume this was intended for the mac68k list on netbsd?)

> I've got two Quadra 700s, one with sys 7 and one with sys 8.  I'd like
> to yoke them together with some bsd.

Not clear what you're trying to do here. Do you intend them to continue
running Mac OS when you yoke them together? If so, you'll need a third
machine running netalk.

>  Is that possible using scsi or
> do I have to go ether?

If you just want to hook them together some way, ether is sufficient.
You'll need to turn on AppleTalk in the control panel and maybe do some
other setup. I think Apple still has information on this on there site.

If you really want to hook them up via *BSD, then you need a separate
machine running netatalk. I don't remember if Netatalk  If you want to
load BSD on them and hook them together, that's pretty straightforward,
too.

Trying to hook them together via SCSI is probably not what you want to
do.

> Will it work and let me do simple internet surfing and wifi
> downloading as part of a larger home net and then will it let me do
> some minuscle wordprocessing and stat analysing?

This sounds like you want bsd on these quadras. I've heard various
reports on this subject. Some people are successful at getting X11 and
X11 apps running. I don't think you want to expect OpenOffice to run on
a Quadra.

> I need to know in the simplest jargon free language possible.

Can you give us more information about what you're up to?

> Now, for the first time in my life, I have a true high speed (cable
> 2.5-3 meg down) connection and it makes me feel that all things are
> possible.

Yeah, speed can get you feeling pretty cocky.

--
Joel Rees