Subject: Re: 2.0 RC4 softfloat build
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/2004 18:56:16
On 2004.11.7, at 05:23 PM, John Klos wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> So I exited sysinst, mounted the partitions by hand, ran sysinst
>> again, and there was no /usr/bin/ftp when I tried to get the files.
>>
>> So I exited again,
>>
>>    umount /usr
>>    mount /dev/sd0e /newusr
>>    cp -pvRP /usr/* /newusr
>
> You mounted your new usr on top of /usr?

Well, you know, sometimes you forget the obvious?

>  You shouldn't do that, since you need the programs that are in /usr.

Yeah, I kind of remembered that. Actually, I keep hoping that sysinst
is somehow supposed to dodge that bullet. I guess not? BTW, if I didn't
mount them, sysinst didn't seem to think they needed to be newfs-ed. At
least, it stopped to tell me the results of the newfs when I mounted
them all first and didn't tell me about it when I didn't. I'm not sure
it mattered where I mounted them, however.

> Use the /mnt mountpoint, and mount /mnt/usr there, and untargzip to
> that.

untargzip? tar -zxf what?

Is there a tarball that contains the contents of /usr? Or is the idea
to pipe tar to tar instead of using cp -p?

> Not sure what the SCSI issue was, but at least you'll have a proper
> ftp program to use after the stuff is mounted.

In the past, when I've used the old method, cpin-ed the tarballs, and
tried to untar, it has got about halfway through a tarball and then it
freezes for several minutes, and when it comes back it's stuck in a
repeating SCSI timeout error. If I let it go forever, so far, it goes
forever. And trying to use cp in the install kernel does the same. I
was hoping Scott and Julio's work on the SCSI from July would make a
difference, finally had a chance to try it today.

The timeout errors look something like this I copied by hand to the
list back in May:

>     sd0(esp0:0:0:0) esp0: timed out [ecb 0x104b000 (flags 0x1, dleft
> 10000, stat 0)] <state 5, nexus 0x104b000, phase (l 3, c 0, p 0),
> resid 10000, msg (q 0, o 0) DMA active> AGAIN
>     sd0(esp0:0:0:0) esp0: timed out [ecb 0x104b000 (flags 0x41, dleft
> 10000, stat 0)] <state 5, nexus 0x104b000, phase (l 3, c 0, p 0),
> resid 10000, msg (q 20, o 0) DMA active> AGAIN
>     cd0: async, 8-bit transfers
>     sd0: waiting for pack to spin up ...

Wish I had more time to give this. But what I really wish is that I
could afford a full 68040 to plug into this beast.

I should mention again that I have reason to believe the box has
hardware problems. In Mac OS, Netscape tends to bomb a lot, CodeWarrior
tends to trip out in mid-compile sometimes, that kind of stuff.

--
Joel Rees
     Complaining about systems that are incomplete misses the point.