Subject: Softfloat and -current
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/09/2004 14:51:54
Hi all,

I can't get -current kernels (as of today's sources) to work on my Performa 630
(68040LC chip).  If I boot the installation kernel (netbsd-INSTALL.gz), I get
messages like:

[...]
md0: internal 2560 KB image area
Kernel Illegal Instruction trap.
trap type 2, code = 0x0, v = 0x0
kernel program counter = 0x3fd9b8
pid = 0, lid = 1, pc = 003FD9B8, ps = 2600, sfc = 1, dfc = 1
[...registers and stack dump...]
panic: Illegal instruction

Booting my customized kernel generally results in a hang while probing adb0
(i.e., I see 'adb0:' and it gets stalled there); no panic nor anything else,
just a freeze (strange...).  One of these boots, however, resulted in a panic
similar to the above one, just before it tried to mount the root devie (IIRC).

Note that I'm building everything with softfloat enabled (-V MKSOFTFLOAT=yes
on build.sh's command line).

However, a netbsd-INSTALL.gz image from 2.0_RC3 built by Bruce works properly.

Maybe there is a problem in the patches I merged in the code (though I tried
them a while ago and worked flawlessy).  And, AFAIK the kernel should not
include FPU code, right?  If so, I don't see why it panics (though the
messages look very much like FPU problems).

Is anybody running current on such machines?  If not, can you try to build a
kernel and run it on them?  Any idea about what can be happening?

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/