Subject: Re: KDE or GNOME on a Quadra @ 25MHZ?
To: Toad <toad@arsystel.com>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/2004 10:43:48
Hey,

On Sunday, September 19, 2004, at 04:07 PM, Toad wrote:

> Hi all!!
>
> I'm running NetBSD 1.6.2 on my Quadra 610, 700MB Hard Disk, 23MB RAM. It
> works really fine!!
Nice to hear that.

> Recently I installed a X server, now I have running "twm" and works
> great (in 2-bit color mode but great!)
sure, 2-bit is quite fast :)

> I have taked a look at NetBSD mac68k ports and I saw KDE and GNOME ( ie
> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD-1.6.1/mac68k/kde ) ...
>
> Hmmm... how runs KDE or GNOME on mac68k machines? What about speed? :-S
SLOW, KDE and GNOME are terrible BLOAT, why do you want to use such
crap ?
your problems would be mainly
- limited color number
- limited screen resolution
- quite flakey color server
- extremely limited ram.

You should try of course to disable all possible eye candy, effects,
tools...

additionally take in account that GTK2 is a really poorly designed
toolkit that is slow, that uses the X server quite badly (try to export
it over ethernet and look at the net usage) and works even worse with
256 colors.

Instead of GNOME you could use XFCE, which gives you quite a good
advantage, a better interface and less screen usage, but still, the GTK
problem wouldn't be solved.

I think you should have a look at applications written for fltk or
motif/lesstif.

I have motif happily running on a 20MHz ibm box and lesstif on a 66mhz
powermac. They work fine, are fast, work in 256 color or greys and
export over the net quite well. Of course it is a bit more complicated
to write applications in it.

I even can run Mosaic (an old browser written in motif) on a 12Mhz
computer... and yes, it is usable.

Assumed that, I'd like to revive (that is look around for existing,
bitrotting apps) or write from scratch or port (from alien toolkits like
GTK) motif applications. It would be useful for old boxes but also for
those who already have a unix with the toolkit installed who could then
enjoy a "native" and "superior" interface.

If someone has the knowledge to help and contribute (mine is indeed
quite limited) please contact me. I already identified some interesting
areas and applications.

-Riccardo