Subject: Re: [Slightly OT] Router advice
To: Damiano Giorgi <damianogiorgi@tiscalinet.it>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/05/2004 17:28:39
>Wow, I'm getting more help than I deserved, given the OT :-)
>
>Michael wrote:
>
>>  You don't need aliases or anything - I did exactly this for ages with a
>>  little Sun ( running Solaris though ) with only one network interface,
>>  the DSL modem plugged into the switch
>                                  ******
>
>OK, let's see if I got it right. Hey, I'm a newbie, please bear with me if
>I'm talking nonsense!
>This is what I wanted to do:
>
>                          +---+
>|       _________        |   |
>|>-----|DSL modem|-------| H |--------> L  [192.168.0.2 etc.]
>|      |_________|   ____| U |--------> A
>                     |    | B |--------> N
>                     |    |   |
>                     |    +---+
>          1.2.3.4    |  192.168.0.1
>          ["real"] \ | /[alias]
>               +----ae0----+
>               |           |
>               |   NetBSD  |
>               |   router  |
>               +-----------+
>
>Would the above work? Do I need a switch instead of a hub?

Yes, that will work, and the hub is fine. The DSL modem, because it's
designed to be plugged into the computer & not a hub, will need to be
connected to an uplink port or crossover cable. I ran this way using
my

>Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>
>>  Since only one
>>  interface will be running a PPPoE client (the NetBSD router) all
>>  other machines on the LAN are quite invisible to the outside world
>>  except where the router is explicitly told to allow otherwise via NAT
>>  tables.
>
>You shed some light in my mind... so the above setup would work with PPPoE,
>but would not with a straight IP connection. Actually, most DSL providers
>in Italy offer PPPoE, but the one I might choose has PPP over ATM, does
>that make things different? And btw, PPPoATM is supported at kernel level
>in NetBSD, right?

I'll have to defer to others on this. When I started using PPPoE DSL,
I was using Mouse's pppoe. I never changed over after we got
in-kernel because it just worked ;).

>Anyway, I think I'm going to either buy a hardware modem-router or follow
>Joshua Coombs' advice to get a SCSI-Ethernet adapter and add a second
>interface to the 475.

Just be aware that there's only a couple models that are currently supported.

HTH
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.