Subject: Re: [Slightly OT] Router advice
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Damiano Giorgi <damianogiorgi@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/02/2004 12:16:11
Joel Rees wrote:

> Under PPPoA, the default setup is likely to be to assign everything on
> the LAN side local range addresses (may be DHCP or static, depending on
> the DSL modem/router and your setup).
>
> So what you'd have on the LC475/NetBSD router would probably not be a
> global IP and local alias, but a local range IP and local range alias
> on a different subnet. (Note that the DSL modem/router has a LAN-side
> address in addition to the WAN-side address.)

Or maybe an alias on a different network, eg. 192.168.1.1 for the
"internal" side of the 475. Wouldn't that be easier?
Anyway, in my example I was assuming a simple DSL modem, not a modem/
router. If I decide to go for the modem/router solution, which I think I
will, I don't think I'm going to place another router further downstream --
would be fun, but not worth the effort for a 2-machine network ;-)

Thanks!

Damiano Giorgi