Subject: Fwd: Asante SCSI-to-Ethernet
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael R.Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/29/2004 21:10:28
On Mar 26, 2004, at 4:14 PM, Antti Kantee wrote:

> I don't think the Asante's are supported, or that there even is hope of
> getting them supported without the use of a scsi protocol analyzer.'

Would it be possible to load plug an Asante into a machine running OS
9, load the driver, and then load a patch to the SCSI manager that
dumped information going to/from the Asante to a file? You could even
dump the SCSI commands and the contents of the data packets. Put the
Asante on it's own, quiet network, and have another box push packets
with known data (like a packet full of 0xdeadbeef's). That would give
you an idea of how to receive packets. Then make a program to send
preformatted TCP packets from the Mac and you'll have an idea of how to
send packets.

Of course, such a task would require somebody with and Asante,
expertise in making OS 9 patch extensions, the proper compiler, and
some idea of how networks and TCP works, some OS knowlege, and, of
course the killer ingredient: time.

Any takers?

  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald