Subject: Re: Patch for Color X
To: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/2004 11:03:37
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Joshua Coombs wrote:

> Whats required to get XFree 4.x on mac68k?  Will it even build?  I'm
> guessing there is no existing driver to support Mac framebuffers,
> but it seems we've got a standard interface (grf) present, would it
> be possible to hook up with a hardcore X developer to get a generic
> driver for grf framebuffers going in XFree 4.x?  That should get us
> up, as well as any other ports with grf support.
>
> The other route is whats the lowest end framebuffer supported by XF
> 4.x, and can we write a wrapper/emulator to GRF for it?

Understand we have XF 4, and this server builds against the XF 4 MI
libraries already. What we don't have is the loadable server,
XF86Config, and so on. The frame buffer modules are apparently
identical to what's presently linked into the server staticly, but I
really haven't looked at what we have to do to use them, and
especially how to replace the PCI probe, and with what. (The grf
device can't even tell you what type of hardware you have.)

Frederick