Subject: Re: Patch for Color X
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/2004 11:32:05
> Hi all,
>
> Here are patches to integrate the working parts of Ken Nakata's
> "One Size Fits All" color X server into the standard build:
>
>   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/fredb/mac68k-color-X.diff
>
> My contribution is mainly to rip out the non-working ioctl()'s.
> I've added the boiler plate copyright assignment to TNF to the
> only new file, crediting Ken Nakata and myself with authorship.
>
> This is going to work just as well in mono-mode as the old server,
> since that code path doesn't change. What's more, the color code
> path is the same as the color X servers that have been reported
> working, on this list, for some time. So, even though I still
think
> it would be nice to have the new XFree 4 architecture, with
plugins,
> this should be fine for NetBSD 2.0. (Comments?)
>
> There still needs to be an update to the man page warning against
> trying pseudo-color modes, and the native, non-crossover build is
> highly speculative at this point. I'm going to do one more update
> to today's sources, then I'll start a native build by tonight, and
> tweak as necessary. For now, though, consider this for current
only.

> Frederick

Cool, I'll bang on it with my SE/30 when it finishes updating
world...

Whats required to get XFree 4.x on mac68k?  Will it even build?  I'm
guessing there is no existing driver to support Mac framebuffers,
but it seems we've got a standard interface (grf) present, would it
be possible to hook up with a hardcore X developer to get a generic
driver for grf framebuffers going in XFree 4.x?  That should get us
up, as well as any other ports with grf support.

The other route is whats the lowest end framebuffer supported by XF
4.x, and can we write a wrapper/emulator to GRF for it?

Joshua Coombs