Subject: Re: Sysinst 1.6.2 DOES work on PB 150 ;-)
To: Bruce ONeel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/2004 22:51:25
Hi,

At 10:41 AM +0100 04.3.19, Gerardo Alvarez wrote:
>I have managed to set up a i386 box with NetBSD 1.6.2 (only AMD 200
>24 Mb RAM, but with 8Gb+ Hard disk) so I can do my own compiling.
>Today I achieved my first bootable kernel, exactly as per Bruce's patch.
>So now I am ready to start rocking!!!

Good!!  I'm very glad (^^)

I'm working for the support SCSI to Ethernet adapter with FPU-less '030s
in last 10 days. I've got some small success on it. DaynaPORT SCSI/Link-T
works now with PowerBook165/1.6.2. It also works with instkernel.

At 5:35 PM +0900 04.3.11, Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:
>every (inst)kernel recognizes the device and it's MAC address correctly,
>but the kernel gets 'panic' (below) in every case.
>
>panic: scsipi_execute_xs: XS_CTL_ASYNC but no buf
>Stopped in pid 32 (ifconfig) at cpu_Debugger+0x6:         unlk     a6

This panic is solved with adding 1 option in config:

options BUFCACHE=value

I put value=5 for my PB165. It means 5% of avail memory. My PB165 has
5316 KB (total memory = 8192 KB), so BUFCACHE is 265.8 KB, maybe it's
too much? :)

At 10:41 AM +0100 04.3.19, Gerardo Alvarez wrote:
>Kazu:
>     1.- What was the last release that supported SCSI Link?

There is no formal release that supported SCSI Link.
I know only Hiroshi Noguchi released 1.6G kernels supported SCSI Link.
I have them (GENERIC and GENERICSBC), and they work nicely.

>     2.- Could the problem be related to FPE, or is SCSI Link also broken
>          on full-FPU machines?

I made 1.6.1 kernel for Macintosh Classic II. It works with no problem.
My Classic II has (optional) FPU. For FPU-less Macs, it seems harder.
(Hiroshi Noguchi's 1.6G kernel works perfectly on PowerBook165, too.)

>     3.- What other changes since the last-working-release do you think
>          that can be bothering us now?

Please see below.

>     4.- Some clues as to what you have tried, etc could be very useful.

I've made more than 30 kernels already, but not got the perfect one (^^;

     various options settings
     boot them up on the other machines with SCSI Link
     check and compare the files in scsipi, and try version down
     scsiconf.c from v1.184.4.3 to v1.184.4.1

>     5.- Also, I would like to know what is the procedure to setup SCSI
>          LInk under BSD, once it is running.

Sure, let's try it with toghther (^^)/

Bruce's conf files have not included the SCSI Link support currently,
because of my slow work, sorry.

For the DaynaPORT SCSI/Link-T support;

1.- Get the driver "if-dse.c" which is written by Hiroshi Noguchi,
      based on "if-se.c", from my web-site. My "if-dse.c" is slightly
      modified for avoding the make error.

http://www.pp.iij4u.or.jp/~happyday/daynaport.html

2.- Put the driver "if-dse.c" in src/sys/dev/scsipi

3.- Add 3 lines for 'device dse' (below) in "files.scsipi" which is in
      the same directory.

     file        dev/scsipi/if_se.c           se       needs-flag

     device    dse: ifnet, ether, arp
     attach    dse at scsibus
     file        dev/scsipi/if_dse.c         dse        needs-flag

     device    sd: disk

4.- Edit your conf file "030FPE", add 1 line for 'dse*' in
      "# SCSI devices".
      If you don't need se*, you can put 'd' at the first on the line (^^)

     # SCSI devices
     sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?            # SCSI disk drives
     #st*   at scsibus? target ? lun ?            # SCSI tape drives
     cd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?            # SCSI CD-ROM drives
     #ch*   at scsibus? target ? lun ?            # SCSI autochangers
     se*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?            # SCSI ethernet
     dse*   at scsibus? target ? lun ?            # SCSI ethernet
     #ss*   at scsibus? target ? lun ?            # SCSI scanners
     #uk*   at scsibus? target ? lun ?            # SCSI unknown

5.- Also add 'dse*' in your instkernel conf "INST030FPE".

6.- Make sure MKSOFTFLOAT=yes in /etc/mk.conf

7.- Enjoy "./build.sh -u -U -m mac68k -T /... -D /... -R /..."
      (It takes several hours at the first build.)
      Bruce's "fpe-softfloat-20040313-1.6.2.tar.gz" helps us very nicely.
      Thanks a lot to Bruce for the wonderful works.

That's all.
      (my English is poor, if you don't understand this, please tell me.)

I'm testing SCSI Link-T with my own conf file, because 030FPE conf
doesn't work for my PowerBook165+DaynaPORT SCSI/Link-T.
I can't find out the reason why it doesn't work.

Needless to say, Bruce's 030FPE works greatfully on FPU-less '030s.
I've finished to make install WindowMaker from pkgsrc on my
FPU-less LCIII+(33MHz/36MB) that 030FPE is runnning.  It took 24
hours for 'make'. I didn't see any errror while 'make' was going on.

My conf file is based on GENERIC, it makes 1274 KB sized kernel,
and 1.6.2 runs lively with 8MB RAM.
I put my latest 2 conf files on the same page (above) for the check.

Of cource it's better to compile Bruce's 030FPE conf, first.
030FPE is "SMALLRAM" based. Please tell us how it works on your
PowerBook 150 (IDE) with DaynaPORT.

"Bad address"

My kernels still have a strange "Bad address" error.
It happens (not always) at ftp get with a big size file such as comp.tgz.
My kernels also get 'freeze' at ftp get sometime.

I don't think that is a hard drive problem because it happens on
the other '030 Macs (hard drives) too.
I also don't think that is a config problem because it happens on
GENERIC kernel.
I'm sure the file system is clean, and I don't see any error at ping,
small data transfer such as ntp, telnet, or on MacOS/AppleTalk.

I'm in doubt about netbsd-1-6 source has anything bug or "not '030-
friendly" for the SCSI support ... ?
Now I'm going to check the file 'scsiconf.c', but it's not easy for me,
and it seems not make a sense.

Can someone give me a hint about "Bad address" error?

Thanks in advance,
Kazu Inanaga