Subject: Re: Is it a problem with gcc?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: J. MacPhail <jrm@kw.igs.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/2004 03:07:15
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:51:00PM -0500, Michael Lesniak wrote:
> NetBSD 1.6.1 SE/30 128mb RAM 2gb hd IIsi ROM
> Hello,
> I am still trying to get dt to install...

The simplest solution may be to install the 1.5 version, as you were
originally attempting.  As you noticed, it complains about a missing
library.  Write down the name of the library.  Verify on your system
that a library of that name really is not present.  Download, from
ftp.netbsd.org, the 1.5 version of base.tgz, but don't install that
whole set!  Run tar -ztf base.tgz to get a listing of the archive, to
verify that it really does contain the missing library.  Then run tar
-zxf base.tgz <filename> to extract just that library.  (Read tar's
man page!  Also, if you look through the NetBSD-68k FAQ at
www.netbsd.org, there are details relating tar options to the
installation process.)

> when I try to compile the
> source, I get an error, something about something or other being too
> old, and it gives the suggestion:
> to fix
> cd /pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install && /usr/bin/make clean && /usr/bin/make
> install
>
> so I do that and I get:"
> ===>  Cleaning for pkg_install-20040115
> ===>  *** No /pkgsrc/distfiles/pkg-vulnerabilities file found,
> ===>  *** skipping vulnerability checks. To fix, install
> ===>  *** the pkgsrc/security/audit-packages package and run
> ===>  *** '/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list'.
> ===>  Extracting for pkg_install-20040115
> ===>  Patching for pkg_install-20050115
> ===>  Configuring for pkg_install-20040115
> cd /pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/work/libnbcompat && /usr/bin/env
> CC="gcc" ./configure
>  &&		   /usr/bin/make
> checking build system type... m68k-unknown-netbsdelf1.6.1
> checking host system type... m68k-unknown-netbsdelf1.6.1
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler cann
> ot create executables
> see 'config.log' for more details.
> *** Error code 77
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> "
>
> So... do I have to recompile gcc?

Something is seriously wrong.  Before you get too frantic, I suggest
that you

  1. Use md5sum to verify the checksums of all sets you have installed.

  2. Do all you can to use a pure 1.6.1 system (or 1.6.2, or
whatever).  For example, use the NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets/pkgsrc.tgz
from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD -- supposedly the kernel in
NetBSD-current requires gcc-3.3 to compile, so it would not be too
surprising if current packages were hard to compile with an earlier
compiler.  There are problems in the other direction too: using a
later compiler on an earlier system may cause trouble.

  3. This is a little more speculative, but you might consider
downgrading to 1.5.3 -- with 1.6, there was a change from a.out to ELF
format, and somehow the floating point emulation got broken, and
nobody knows why: it could be that other snippets of assembly language
code got broken at the same time.  But that is just guessing, and my
last guess about the floating point problem turned out to be very
wrong. ;)

> I was going to check the config.log, but while copying the screen here,
> the hard drive spun down and now no commands work (after it spins down,
> it never spins back up and I get either:  "[the command path]: bad
> address" or  "[the command path]: Input/output error."). This happens
> all the time, after login, if I give no commands for about a minute.
> This is really annoying.  How do I prevent the hd from spinning down
> when idle?  I have pulled the hard drive (seagate hawk) to see if there
> was a jumper setting to disable spin down, and the closest thing I
> could find was "enable motor start,"  so I put a jumper on there, but
> it doesn't help. Where can I configure the HD not to sleep or spin
> down?

If I were you, I would boot MacOS, make sure the "energy saving"
thingys are installed, and see if changing the settings there helps.
If not, I would suspect something wrong with the scsi (or ide) driver
on the disk, and see if the manufacturer provides downloadable
drivers.  (Also look for tips on how to install the driver!  My
inclination would be to create a partition for the driver using pdisk,
and then use "dd" to copy the driver to that partition.  But I guess
the disk needs some kind of driver on it for pdisk to be able to get
at it....)  If it is scsi, you probably should use an SBC kernel.

Recently, I accessed the internal drive of a 68K machine (PowerBook
160) from a PPC machine, under MacOS, and very stupidly clicked yes
when some program -- I think it was a MacOS installer -- kindly
offered to update the disk drivers.  The result was that the 68K
machine could no longer see the disk at all!  Possibly it put in PPC
code instead of 68K code.

HTH.

--
John