Subject: Q605 pre-install issues
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: mneptok <mneptok@mneptok.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/2004 23:05:51
Greetings all. Newbie to this list, but not to BSDs, Macs or basic list
etiquette. I have some questions, but you need not clench. :)

I am about to take possession of a Quadra 605 on which I plan to
install 1.6.2. I have a full '040 to drop in, an Asante PDS NIC with
Apple-supported ROMS, 36MB RAM and a 160MB drive.

First question, which really isn't a question. I see some progress is
being made on the soft float code. If I can donate this (now) spare
68LC040 to a NetBSD dev that is currently working on this code, they
may have the proc for the cost of shipping from OR, USA. Please, this
chip is being offered for everyone's benefit. If you just want/need a
spare, let me find a home for this thing that will help us all. (Note:
I have yet to take possession of the 605 or test the replacement '040,
so this offer is pending my assurance my new '040 will work.)

Second, as I have no CD drive for this thing, it looks like a sysinst
is my lot. Not a huge deal, as being an OpenBSD user I (think I) have a
fairly strong grasp of network *BSD installs. Any NetBSD and/or 68K
specific issues of which I should be aware? Caveats on what to do at
the start to save headaches later that would not occur to someone new
to NetBSD/68K, but not Unix-like OS stuffs?

Third, the little Q605 has a pathetically small 160MB drive. I plan to
test NetBSD and this machine with that drive, then upgrade to something
larger. Larger enough so that MacOS 8.1's support for larger volumes
becomes an issue. Or does it? Can 7.5.x slice a chunk off a drive too
big for it to recognize in its entirety, leaving free space for the
NetBSD drive tools to work? I assume that NetBSD's disk tools are not
inhibited by any disk limitations of the host MacOS. So, long question
longer, on an 18GB drive, would I need to boot from and install MacOS
8.1, or could I still use 7.5.x?

That's all for now. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me save
Google-hours. :)

./k

kurt von finck
--