Subject: Re: Mac IIci install problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Charles The Hawk <charlesthehawk@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/2004 23:36:52
--- Charles The Hawk <charlesthehawk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> to be correct.  However, when i run the Booter, i
> get the message "Bye-bye [blah, blah]" and the
> machine freezes.  Heh, it certainly *shouldn't* be
> done like that.

I've finally found reference to this in the archives
from a year ago.  It looks like the only solution was
to use the traditional installer instead of SysInst.
The main reason i wanted to use SysInst was to install
via NFS.  As best i can tell, to use the traditional
method, i have to make the MacOS partition large
enough to hold base.tgz, a minimal MacOS, and the
installation programs.  That uses up at least 20MB of
the very limited disk space.  Then i have the problem
of how to get base.tgz onto machine in the first
place.  If i do it via network, then i'll have to
install more than the minimal MacOS.  I can split
base.tgz on my Linux machine, but i don't know how
to put it back together on the Mac.

I guess the question is, has anyone been able to
a *new* install using SysInst with only 8MB of RAM?
If so, how?

Thanks,
Charles