Subject: Re: Color X issues/1.6.2 question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/2004 08:32:55
On Mar 8, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At 10:52 AM -0600 04.3.6, Tim McNamara wrote:
>>
>>            My question in regard to 1.6.2 is whether I also have
>> to sup pkgsrc; I have the 1.6.1 version currently.
>
> "tar_files"  ?
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/
>
> or, how about to use AnonCVS?

Oops, sorry, my question was if I *needed* to update pkgsrc, or whether
source would build properly without doing so.  As an experiment, I
built apache-2.0.44 without updating pkgsrc and it seems to run fine.

But that raised yet another question.  pkgsrc is convenient, but many
of the packages are outdated versions that have been replaced with
security updates (e.g., apache-1.3.28 is what builds via pkgsrc, but
1.3.29 is the current version due to security problems in 1.3.28; for
apache 2, the pkgsrc version is 2.0.44 but the current version from
apache.org is 2.0.48).  How does one build updated versions, especially
for critical apps like this where security is crucial?  Can one just
download the source tarballs and build them in the usual way
(./configure, make, make install) or does one have to use pkgsrc due to
patching issues?