Subject: Mac IIci install problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Charles The Hawk <charlesthehawk@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/2004 00:44:59
I help with an orphanage in Zambia which was recently
given several old Mac IIci's and a Quadra 950.  We
would like to use them to teach the orphans basic
computing skills.  For security reasons, all the
IIci's had the hard drives erased, so we've been
installing the O/S on them.  I'd really prefer to
teach them using something not so proprietary, (not
to mention the fact that i know nothing about Macs)
so would like to install NetBSD on them, however, i'm
not getting very far.

I have gone over the checklist and everything appears
to be correct.  However, when i run the Booter, i
get the message "Bye-bye [blah, blah]" and the machine
freezes.  Heh, it certainly *shouldn't* be done like
that.

That was using the SysInst method.  I then tried the
traditional method, but the Mac disk utilities i use
in Linux complained about every one of the mkfs files
that i downloaded and wouldn't write them to the
floppy.

I'm booting the Mac with no extensions, virtual memory
disabled, 32 bit memory on, video set to 1-bit.  Any
ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps i should just give up the idea and try to find
a good typing tutor or something what will run under
MacOS?

TIA,
Charles