Subject: Re: Minor bugs and a few questions
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/2004 05:11:37
Hi,

At 1:43 PM +0100 04.3.4, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>While sysinst is documented to work with 6 MB of memory, and the
>machine has 8MB, the installation would crash with gzip running out of
>memory when installing sets.

My PowerBook165 has 8MB of RAM, I don't remember that PB165 has
returned "out of memory".

>(Providing a smaller installation kernel would also be helpful.

Yes, I think so.

>Finally, I've not been able to get a kernel without the in-kernel
>debugger to boot.  The boot process hangs just after the last message
>of the booter, and just sits there.  Recompiling the kernel with no
>changes in the config file except adding ddb solved the problem.
>
>While I have your ear, do people have any ideas how to make the kernel
>smaller?  It's currently at slightly over 1.2 MB, but there's a mere
>5.5 MB free after booting.

I think your 1.2 MB kernel is very small already.
I made 1320KB sized kernel for '030s one year ago.
About debugging support:

> # Diagnostic/debugging support options
> #options          DIAGNOSTIC     # cheap kernel consistency checks
> #options          DEBUG              # expensive debugging checks/support
> #options          KMEMSTATS     # kernel memory statistics (vmstat -m)
> options            DDB                                # in-kernel debugger
> #options          DDB_HISTORY_SIZE=100 # enable history editing in DDB
> #options          KGDB                              # remote debugger
> #options          KGDB_DEV=0xc01           # kgdb device number (dev_t)
> #options          KGDB_DEVRATE=38400   # baud rate
> #makeoptions  DEBUG="-g"     # compile full symbol table

This kernel is just for the booting test with small amount of RAM.
It can boot up with 5MB of RAM (onBoard 4MB + 1MB) on LCIII+ (with
optional FPU). Avail memory is 2496KB.

At 11:28 AM -0700 04.3.4, Joel Rees wrote:
>But RAM used to be cheap. I'd say you'd want to weigh the cost of
>paring down the kernel against the cost of some bigger RAM on eBay. The
>LC 475 can accept up to a 32 MB SIMM in the socket.

Yes, indeed :)
    LC 475 can accept up to 132MB (onBoard 4MB + 128MB SIMM).

Macintosh SE or Classic has MC68000 CPU. Some accelerators such as
MicroMac PerformerPro ('030/32MHz + FPU) are available for them, so
they are ready to go NetBSD world (Macintosh Plus has non ADB keyboard),
but those 68000 Macs still have the limitation = "max. RAM is 4MB" !
I'd like to see NetBSD is running on SE :)

Can anyone boot NetBSD with 4MB RAM?

At 7:29 PM +0100 04.3.4, Hauke Fath wrote:
>Remove any unused file-system and device drivers; check the dmesg output
>against your kernel config file.

I put my old conf file. It makes 1320KB sized kernel which boot up
with 4MB RAM, doesn't with 5MB.
http://www.pp.iij4u.or.jp/~happyday/testconf.txt
I think there are some unnecessary options on it, anyway.

This is my new conf file for a FPU-less '030 Macintosh.
http://www.pp.iij4u.or.jp/~happyday/030FPESBC.txt

At 1:43 PM +0100 04.3.4, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>Oh, and will any ethernet card work on an LC 475?  The supported
>hardware document mentions the Asante LC cards as not working on the
>LC 475.

The following 14 kinds of LC NIC works on my LC475/NetBSD-1.6.1.

ASANTE TECH, INC. MacLC REV.A
   ae0 at nubus0 slot e: MacCon LC - A , 32KB memory
   ae0: Ethernet address 00:00:94:76:b8:8a

ASANTE TECH, INC. MacLC III REV.D
   ae0 at nubus0 slot e: MacCon LC III, 64KB memory
   ae0: Ethernet address 00:00:94:41:5b:0b

APPLE COMPUTER, INC. ETHERNET LC TWISTED-PAIR CARD 820-0532-B*
APPLE COMPUTER, INC. ETHERNET LC CARD 820-0443-D1
ASANTE TECH, INC. MacLC REV.A
ASANTE TECH, INC. MacLC III REV.D
ASANTE TECH, INC. MacLC III REV.D(AsanteLite)
Farallon LC CARD ASSY ASERIES V1.0
Farallon LC StNic Rev D
FARALLON COMPUTING INC. ETHERMAC LC NSC
FARALLON COMPUTING INC. ETHERWAVE LC
FARALLON COMPUTING INC. ETHERWAVE LC (2 RJ45 PORT)
SSI NB128 LC ASIC BD-090 Rev E
SSI NB 256 LC ASIC BD-090 Rev (Different color)

Works with the special kernel:
CABLETRON SYSTEMS INC. PN 9000395-03 REV. A
http://www.pp.iij4u.or.jp/~happyday/cabletron_lc.html

Does not work (doesn't have the Ethernet address??):
DAYNA COMMUNICATIONS INC. DAYNAPORT E/LC-M REV. C

Thanks,
Kazu Inanaga