Subject: Minor bugs and a few questions
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/2004 13:43:06
Hello,

I've just finished installing 1.6.1 on a LC 475.  There were a few
minor nits during the installation, I thought I'd share them with you.

I've found the multiple booters present on the CD to be confusing.  It
should be documented that ELF kernels will only boot with the 2.0
booter.

While sysinst is documented to work with 6 MB of memory, and the
machine has 8MB, the installation would crash with gzip running out of
memory when installing sets.  The solution was to escape to the shell
and swapon manually.  I guess that sysinst should do that automa-
tically, or at least the procedure should be documented.

(Providing a smaller installation kernel would also be helpful.  Do
people really install from AFS or to LFS?)

Additionally, the cross-compiling procedure is documented to work
under Linux.  This isn't the case: cross-compilation under Linux fails
when compiling cat (!) because the __COPYRIGHT macro is not defined.
I've finally installed NetBSD/i386 and did the compilation from there.

Finally, I've not been able to get a kernel without the in-kernel
debugger to boot.  The boot process hangs just after the last message
of the booter, and just sits there.  Recompiling the kernel with no
changes in the config file except adding ddb solved the problem.

While I have your ear, do people have any ideas how to make the kernel
smaller?  It's currently at slightly over 1.2 MB, but there's a mere
5.5 MB free after booting.

Any chance to get the floppy to work?  The iwm driver is giving up
with ``unknown chipset (-77)''.

Oh, and will any ethernet card work on an LC 475?  The supported
hardware document mentions the Asante LC cards as not working on the
LC 475.

Thanks for your help,

                                        Juliusz Chroboczek