Subject: Re: Sad Mac's
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: E. Seth Miller <esmiller@umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/2004 00:20:01
Greetings-
	I would say that if it is a bug in the IIci ROM, it's certainly a
tricky one.  I've never seen this problem with the IIci, and I've got a
small stack of them.  I'd guess that small hardware configurations might
work.  The Daystar card would be my first suspect, since I've had bad luck
with accelerators and shutdown performance.
	One workaround might be to (when the machine's off) push in the
power button on the back and give it a half twist (with a coin or
screwdriver).  One of the nice features of the IIci (as well as IIcx,
Q700, and others) is the power switch on the back, which can be set to
prevent the machine from actually powering down when halted.  If this
solves the problem, then you've got a partial solution.  If not, it's
pretty clearly some hardware glitch.
	Just out of curiosity, you don't have a SIMM in the ROM SIMM slot,
do you?

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, David Rogers wrote:

> On Feb 29, 2004, at 10:15 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:13:27PM -0600, David Rogers wrote:
> >> Any ideas?  It's not crucial, just annoying.  I can shutdown -h now,
> >> power down and then power up with no problems.  it just requires me to
> >> do some minimal extra work.
> >
> > Perhaps your SCSI drives haven't spun up yet when the ROM tries to
> > boot from them?
> >
> > If they have a "auto-spin-up" pin-pair, try jumpering that.
> >
> > --
> > gabriel rosenkoetter
> > gr@eclipsed.net
>
> They should still be spinning though since it happens when I reboot.

Not necessarily.  At least some of my machines definitely do spin down the
drives under some circumstances.  I don't remember if my IIci (or even any
of my 68k Macs) will, and I can't take it down right at the moment...

	-Seth