Subject: Re: Browsers
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/2004 18:03:04
On Feb 24, 2004, at 11:54 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> on 2/24/04 6:11 AM, Tim McNamara at timmcn@bitstream.net wrote:
>
>>> Interesting, I'm using it on an old laptop running with 8bit color.
>>> Did you use
>>> the -mode flag? I use:
>>>
>>> links -mode 800x600x256
>>
>> Same results.
>
> I use it in x-window and export the display even... works w/o problems
> with
> 8bit color.  Are you sure your mac isn't set to 1bit or so?

The Booter is set for 800 x 600 and 256 colors.  However, it has only
the built-in VRAM, so that might be a contributor.  I have 6 256K VRAM
cards arriving in the next day or two ($3.98 per card at
welovemacs.com), and I'm hoping that this will help.  I just put 64 MB
worth of SIMMs in today (eBay is a nice source for this old stuff)
which seems to have sped things up a bit- Emacs under X seems quicker,
anyway.

I've had a lot of problems with 1.6.1, it seems- way more than I had
with 1.4.2 way back when- when installed totally new and fresh from the
distribution tree on a newly formatted drive.  Seems like some of the
rough edges haven't been addressed, such as the pkgtools problems which
prevent pkg_add from working properly, the lack of a functioning modern
browser, and there seems to be a problem with the gcc compiler too.
It's frustrating knowing nothing about programming, because I can't
contribute to fixing the problems; and I hate doing nothing but
kvetching.