Subject: virtual terminals?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: J. MacPhail <jrm@kw.igs.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/2004 02:19:01
Greetings.

New to BSD, I have installed NetBSD 1.6.1 (on a PowerBook 160), using
the "traditional" installation method (MacOS tools).  So far, it has
gone reasonably smoothly, but I am confused about the virtual console
support.

1. X requirements.  The comments in /etc/defaults/rc.conf imply that
it is completely infeasible to run X with Wscons disabled.  Wrong!
Right?

2. Wscons feasibility.  From my troubles with wscons ("can't allocate
memory"), and a browse through earlier postings, I guess that Wscons
is not supported by any mac68k kernel.  True?

3, DT desirability.  The DT package appears at ftp.netbsd.org as a 1.5
package, but no later.  When I try to install the old package, I find
it wants an old library.  Though the PB160 is unattractive for
recompilation, I could dig the old library out of the 1.5 install
sets.  Before doing that, I am asking whether DT has disappeared for
any reason I should know.  Is there anything seriously wrong with it?
Did everybody move to Screen instead?  Or what?

4. Screen availability.  There does not seem to be a 1.6.1 Screen
package.  How come?

--
John