Subject: Re: Question about X
To: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/2004 14:15:53
At 10:41 PM -0600 2/15/04, Tim McNamara wrote:
>On Feb 15, 2004, at 9:39 PM, Joshua Coombs wrote:

This is mac68k...24 hours is *nothing* for a compile :)

>  and thinking that eliminating competing processes such as the X
>server, xterms, etc., might help speed things up.

The other stuff running will only really affect things if you're
actively using them and your system is starved for resources. Check
out top, systat, vmstat, etc to see how your system is being used.
Chanes are, the more dormant processes are swapped out and aren't
getting in the way too much. Because it's an xterm, if you kill the
xserver, you'll kill the xterm and abort the compile. You can kill
all of the other X applications, though.

HTH,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.