Subject: Color X on Quadra 700
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2004 22:13:00
I've installed the color X server from .../arch/mac68k/contribs/...
using the precompiled one to save time.  I'm running 1.6.1 on a Quadra
700 with just the onboard video.  Seems to be limited to 256 colors and
as such the rendering is pretty horrible visually and quite slow- but
it *does* work and that's really something.  Nice to see color, even
garish color.

I've thought about changing the colormap to grey scale, but haven't
done so yet, to see if the desktop is more legible.  Would performance
and color rendering be better with a NuBus video card?  If so, is there
a "best" option?

I've also only got 20 MB RAM; IIRC the Quadra 700 will support up to 64
MB under Mac OS- will it address all of that under NetBSD?

Thanks!