Subject: Re: more partitions
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2004 10:19:15
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 08:44:07AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> There are other reasons besides speed. It makes it possible to set
> policies for backups, quotas, and permissions.

Sure.

> When you factor in the
> fact that most drives on NetBSD/mac68k hosts have HFS partitions too,
> the current maximum of six useful partitions is very limiting. I think
> we should follow the lead of i386 and other ports, and do what it
> takes to permit up to sixteen. At the same time, we should stop hiding
> the driver partitions, to make it easier to maintain the machine
> entirely from within NetBSD.

Well, if we expose the driver partitions, we can chew through 16 pretty
quickly.  On my tibook with just Apple stuff, two HFS partitions, a shared
APPLE_UFS partition and two NetBSD partitions, NetBSD is on the 12th
partition.  If I recall correctly, FWB puts a few extras in there, too.
But I could be misremembering...

The main reason we never switched to 16 was that it is a flag day,
meaning that if you update the kernel w/o updating userland, things
will not work.  If you don't update your device files, you'll get
strange results (what was wd1a is now wd0i).  If we're willing to
deal with that, then we should go ahead and do it.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/