Subject: Re: PowerBook Duo 230 (68030 -fpu)
To: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2004 08:23:34
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:

> By the way, can we make *thin* userland for a small-RAM Mac?
> My Classic II ('030/16MHz, 10MB RAM, with FPU) takes more than
> 5 minutes for booting up. It's too much.   For example, I don't need
> a "fat" cryptograph ...  Is it a crazy idea to make *thin* userland?

All those programs in userland that aren't running don't have anything
to do with boot up time.

You may benefit from tweaking the buffer cache parameters. The
default for vm.execmin of 5%, for example, works out to only 500Kb
on a machine with 10Mb of RAM, which is too small to have any effect.
Try bumping that to, say, 8% to 20%.  Like so:

    echo vm.execmin=10 >> /etc/sysctl.conf

and see what difference that makes to bootup time.

Frederick