Subject: Re: quadra 700 boot probelms
To: Jeremy Venaas <prince_germ@yahoo.com>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/2004 17:03:18
On Feb 11, 2004, at 1:20 PM, Jeremy Venaas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> okay this has become more than frustrating,
> I have read and done ALL of the installation steps as
> listed on both of the installtaion links and nothing
> first of heres is the hardware
> macintosh quadra 700 64mb ram(real not virtuaL)

I am running 1.6.1/mac68k on a Quadra 700, with 20 MB RAM and 4GB disk.
  So it *is* possible!  ;-)

> 500MB HD partitioned with Mkfs and pdisk

Hmmm.  The instructions suggest using the Apple HD SC Setup utility,
not pdisk.  I found these instructions to work exactly as described.

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/theobald/#installation_formatting-
disks

These instructions were also helpful:

http://www.macunix.net:443/installguide/installguide.html

The symptoms you describe sound like there was a step skipped in
creating the partitions on the hard drive.    Specifically I think you
need to make sure that you used the Apple HD Setup utility (which may
need to be patched if you are using a non-Apple drive) and created A/UX
partitions before running Mkfs.  I say this because it sounds really
familiar from when I installed NetBSD 1.4.2 several years ago <sheepish
grin>.

Hope this helps!