Subject: Re: Asante MCiLC-10T Mac PDS Support?
To: Joey C <joeyjwc@rcn.com>
From: E. Seth Miller <esmiller@umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/2004 19:15:52
Joey-
	I had the same problem with my Asante MacCon3 in a IIci.  By
putting a 10base-T hub in betwen, it did work.
	The problem, it seems, is that a lot of cable modems have built in
10/100 interfaces, and don't negotiate down with Asante cards right.
Apparently, a DOCSIS-compliant modem can support >50Mbps transfer rates,
thus a reason to include a 100base connection even though providers at
this point are generally not over 5Mbit.  Unfortunately, it doesn't do
most of us mac68k users much good.
	In any event, all it takes is a plain old dumb hub to solve the
problem.  However, I think all of this is a good reason for cable
providers to refuse to provide support for any machine/OS setups but the
really boring ones.  (That's okay, the last two cable-modem installers
I've had have come, taken one look at my network, installed the modem, and
told me I can do whatever I want with the cat5 cable they leave for me,
and then they run away as quickly as possible.  Better in my opinion
anyway.)
	Good luck!

	-Seth