Subject: Re: Persistent problems with pkgsrc
To: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/2004 22:47:33
Hi,

At 0:27 PM -0600 04.2.8, Tim McNamara wrote:
>> I've been trying to get pkgsrc operational under 1.6.1 with persistent
>> problems.  I have installed pksrc every which way- ftp, CVS, sup.
>> Every time it fails to build anything, even its own pkgtools, with the
>> following error message:

I get the same error on my 1.6.1 + pkgsrc(via CVS).
(I don't see that error if pkgsrc is mounted with nfs. My NFS server is
i386 -current.)
As you know well, the compiler in 1.6.1 is out of date for current pkgsrc,
so I (we) have to build new pkgtools first. But it returns the error as
you pointed. Is it a problem of GCC version mismatching?
For avoiding this I did;

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/Packages.txt
>2.5 Selecting the compiler
> ==========================
>
>By default, pkgsrc will use GCC to build packages.  This may be
>overridden by setting the following variables in /etc/mk.conf:
>
> * PKGSRC_COMPILER:
>   This is a list of values specifying the chain of compilers to invoke
>   when building packages.  Valid values are:
>
>	distcc	distributed C/C++ (chainable)
>	ccache	compiler cache (chainable)
>	gcc	GNU
>	mipspro	Silicon Graphics, Inc. MIPSpro
>	sunpro	Sun Microsystems, Inc. WorkShip/Forte/Sun
>		ONE Studio
>
>   The default is "gcc".  You can use ccache and/or distcc with an
>   appropriate PKGSRC_COMPILER setting, e.g. "ccache gcc".  This
>   variable should always be terminated with a value for a real compiler.
>
> * GCC_REQD:
>   This specifies the minimum version of GCC to use when building
>   packages.  If the system GCC doesn't satisfy this requirement, then
>   pkgsrc will build and install one of the GCC packages to use instead.

Put one line in /etc/mk.conf:

PKGSRC_COMPILER=ccache gcc

and then;
cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install && make clean && make install

"ccache-2.3" is automatically installed, and it works fine with some
message lines.
I've installed some packages with no error, but I'm not quite sure
because this is my first try and not tested enough.

I hope "Packages.txt" helps you.

Thanks,
Kazu Inanaga