Subject: Re: Dumb error locking me out of root
To: E. Seth Miller <esmiller@umich.edu>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/2004 15:35:24
"E. Seth Miller" <esmiller@umich.edu> writes:

> Here's an odd question...  Where is it looking from?  Obviously, it
> doesn't look from root...  Does it look from the current directory,
> or /root, or ~/, or does it refuse to look at all if there's no
> leading slash?  If it actually looks in some (nonexistent)
> directory, maybe you could create a link from that directory to a
> real shell?

Well, root looks from /root by default.  However, both logging in as
root and su failed.  Since sudo is not part of NetBSD by default,
that option was unavailable (and could have fixed it in a trice.
Whatever a trice is).

Basically, I don't like csh and its variants, so I did chsh -s as
root.  Problem it, I gave the argument "usr/pkg/bin/bash" instead of
"/usr/pkg/bin/bash" and so of course the root account couldn't find a
shell.

I solved it by killing it with the power switch (since you can't
reboot from a non-root account by default and the toor account was
inaccessible).  I immediately installed sudo so that hopefully this
sort of stuff won't happen again.  I'm sure I'll schmuck something
else up somewhere along the line!

Now, if I could just get pkg_add, pkgsrc and cvs operational... and
if Gnus would initialize properly from my .gnus that works on my
other computer...