Subject: Re: Getting a MacOS 7.x boot disk
To: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/2004 21:34:57
On Jan 29,  8:12pm, Joel Rees wrote:
>I never shoot from the hip. Do you shoot from the hip?

Nope.  Just relating my experience from back in the day.

>     http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html#system

Yeah, a download site for updates and utilities.  I've been there in
the past...

>     http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26275

And a non-specific license agreement.  So?

I did a search, and looked at several hundred sites before writing
this reply.  I saw several mentioning that Apple released 7.5.3
for free in Feb. of 1999.  A bunch talk about booting a 7.5 floppy,
then doing a 7.5.3 install.  Note that the 19 floppies are a .smi,
which in itself is not bootable.  A lot of sites talk about doing
a 7.5.3 update from 7.5, 7.5.1 or 7.5.2.  Sites talk about _making_
a bootable 7.5.3 or 7.5.5 CD.  I saw one that had a (out of stock)
Power Computing 7.5.3 CD.  But I didn't see any talking about
booting any 7.5.3 media from Apple.

To be fair, the sites that mention the Apple release of 7.5.3 imply
that it can be installed directly, not just as an upgrade to 7.5.
And the text note accompanying those 19 floppies talks about booting
a 7.5 Network Access floppy in order to accomplish the install.  In
my defense, I will note that this 7.5.3 "full install" came out long
after I had moved on to System 8, and I was not aware that it could
be used so...  So I concede that there indeed is a 7.5.3 that now can
be used to install from scratch.  So far as I can see, however, my
previous statements still stand in regard to the rest of the "update"
versions, and to 7.5.3 at the time of its original release.

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>